• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Citing Hobby Lobby Decision, Satanists Demand Religious Exemption from Abortion Restrictions

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Idiot right-wingers should have seen this coming, I guarantee it's just the beginning of this sort of religious challenge. The First Amendment is for everyone, not just Christians.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/07/28/3464769/satanists-hobby-lobby-abortion/

The Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision, which allowed some for-profit companies to claim a religious exemption to Obamacare’s contraception mandate, has sparked a heated debate over the definition of religious liberty and its role in modern society. At this point, even a Satantic cult has decided to weigh in.

The Satanic Temple — a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty” — has launched a new campaign seeking a religious exemption to certain anti-abortion laws that attempt to dissuade women from ending a pregnancy. The group says they have deeply held beliefs about bodily autonomy and scientific accuracy, and those beliefs are violated by state-level “informed consent” laws that rely on misleading information about abortion risks.

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, the Satanists point out, it strengthens their own quest to opt out of laws related to women’s health care that go against their religious liberty. “Because of the respect the Court has given to religious beliefs, and the fact that our our beliefs are based on best available knowledge, we expect that our belief in the illegitimacy of state* mandated ‘informational’ material is enough to exempt us, and those who hold our beliefs, from having to receive them,” a spokesperson for the organization said in a statement.

The Satanic Temple, sometimes referred to as “the nicest Satanic cult in the world,” falls somewhere between satire, performance art, and activism. The group says its central mission is to “encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense and justice, and be directed by the human conscience to undertake noble pursuits guided by the individual will.” It has a set of seven tenets that closely track with humanism. Typically, wherever issues of church and state are overlapping, the Satanic Temple isn’t far behind.

Members of the Satanic Temple first made national headlines when they rallied in support of Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) for approving a bill that allows prayer in public schools, saying they’re glad the new policy will allow children to pray to Satan. Since then, they’ve also held “a formal ceremony celebrating same-sex unions” on the grave of the mother of the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, declaring that she has posthumously become a lesbian, and commissioned a seven-foot-tall Satanic statue near a monument to the Ten Commandments at the Oklahoma State Capitol.

And now, the Satanic Temple is turning its attention to “campaigns to assert our religious protection for women with health needs that are being complicated by unreasonable laws,” focusing on the abortion-related legislation that goes against science.

State-level abortion restrictions that aren’t actually based in medicine have swept the nation. “Informed consent” laws, which typically require women to receive biased counseling before being allowed to proceed with an abortion procedure, are now in place in 35 states. Many of those laws require doctors to tell their patients misleading information about abortion’s potential link to mental health issues and breast cancer. Some of them put words directly in doctors’ mouths, forcing them to refer to the fetus as an “whole, separate, unique, living human being.”

Members of the Temple of Satan are encouraging all women who share their belief in medical accuracy to seek their own exemption from these laws, even if they don’t personally identify as Satanists. They’ve drawn up a sample letter to help women talk to their doctors about the issue, as well as created “Right to Accurate Medical Information” t-shirts for purchase.

Satanists aren’t the only activists fighting back against the junk science used to justify anti-abortion laws. The secular humanist group Center for Inquiry recently launched a “Keep Health Care Safe and Secular” campaign to encourage more Americans to fight back against laws limiting women’s access to health services. Similarly, NARAL Pro-Choice America sometimes uses the slogan “Politicians Make Crappy Doctors.”

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
So what's the problem? Opting out of Obamacare? I don't think giving private citizens a choice is so bad.

sean miguel

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
I can't wait til the next president makes an executive decree opting the whole country out of obamacare.

The precedent has been set, right?

Johan

So what's the problem? Opting out of Obamacare? I don't think giving private citizens a choice is so bad.
This kind of healthcare system can only work as long as evryone is in, if the people who don't need it to have healthcare insurrance can get out of Obamacare, it's can't work.
It's like foodstamps : If people who don't need food stamps say they dn't want their tax money to be used to fund foodstamps, then they're won't be foodstamps anymore

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I can't wait til the next president makes an executive decree opting the whole country out of obamacare.

Do you really think Hillary Clinton will do that to President Obama's signature piece of legislation?

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Satanism is a cult, not a religion. :facepalm:

Johan

Then, explain the difference between a cult and a religion.

The truth is that a "religion" is just a cult that has grownb big enough to become official, to be recognised by governments, etc...
In the Roman Empire, from 0 'til 313 A.C christianism was considered as a cult, christian were chased and persecuted. Only in 313BC, after the publication by emperor Constantine 1 of the Edict of Milan was christianism allowed in the Roman Empire. You see, it doesn't takes much for a cult to be rercognised and become a religion.
By the way, are satanists persecuted in the US ? Are christians served for dinner to lions in stadiums full a people watching the lions have their meals served ? Non ? Then I guess Satanism is tolerated, right ? Then it's a religion, not a cult...

sean miguel

Then, explain the difference between a cult and a religion.

The truth is that a "religion" is just a cult that has grownb big enough to become official, to be recognised by governments, etc...
In the Roman Empire, from 0 'til 313 A.C christianism was considered as a cult, christian were chased and persecuted. Only in 313BC, after the publication by emperor Constantine 1 of the Edict of Milan was christianism allowed in the Roman Empire. You see, it doesn't takes much for a cult to be rercognised and become a religion.
By the way, are satanists persecuted in the US ? Are christians served for dinner to lions in stadiums full a people watching the lions have their meals served ? Non ? Then I guess Satanism is tolerated, right ? Then it's a religion, not a cult...

There are characteristics associated with modern day cults like indoctrination, us vs. them isolation, a charismatic leader etc. (Jim Jones, David Koresh et al.) But you're right, christianity was at one time looked upon as a cult and persecuted by the religious orthodox of the day like Saul of Tarsus who went on to write two thirds of the New Testament (what caused that dramatic turnabout btw?) And islam was considered the cult of mohammhed.

Johan

"True" Satanism (as define By Anton Szabor Lavey) has nothing to do with what you are told on TV, child abduction, drugs, sacrifice of humans or animals in the name of Satan, desecration of burial or other hysterical acts.
It is a philosophy which differs from the worship of Satan or one of his avatars as it is not the worship of a divine or demonic entity but a "belief" of the ego and the individualism, that is to say that the primary purpose of this satanic philosophy is to believe in yourself.
This philosophy was developed by Anton Szandor LaVey, who advocated complete freedom of men not to follow religious dogma or worship any deity and be their own god.

"True" Satanism (as define By Anton Szabor Lavey) has nothing to do with what you are told on TV, child abduction, drugs, sacrifice of humans or animals in the name of Satan, desecration of burial or other hysterical acts.
It is a philosophy which differs from the worship of Satan or one of his avatars as it is not the worship of a divine or demonic entity but a "belief" of the ego and the individualism, that is to say that the primary purpose of this satanic philosophy is to believe in yourself.
This philosophy was developed by Anton Szandor LaVey, who advocated complete freedom of men not to follow religious dogma or worship any deity and be their own god.

Still say the Church Of Satan would have gotten over way better if Vincent Price ran it. Howard Levy just isn't the same thing. George Carlin woulda been an interesting choice too.

Devil-Story-of-Mankind.jpg

knowone

"True" Satanism (as define By Anton Szabor Lavey) snip... but a "belief" of the ego and the individualism, that is to say that the primary purpose of this satanic philosophy is to believe in yourself.snip...

Sounds like Ayn Rand :)

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Satanism is a faction of Christianity.

No, to the both of you. :tongue:

First and foremost, anyone who whorships Satan will lie.

Anton Lavey was a liar, he tortured, sacrificed (people and animals), raped, and everything else.

The truth about Santanic cults Link

Link

Link

BlkHawk

Closed Account
The truth about Santanic cults Link

Thank you Will, this is one of the funniest sites I have read! His belief that Gene Roddenberry was doing the devil's work was great. Highly advise people read his article about Katy Perry as well. Truly funny stuff there, again thanks, love to read the delusional writings of mad men.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
Hey everyone, don't forget to vote for will as Asshat Of The Year in the members only section. He could become the first two-time AHOTY recipient and that would be.......historic. Or vote for me, if you're an asshat. Check the link below my sig.

mikexmoran

Will strip for money!
Do you really think Hillary Clinton will do that to President Obama's signature piece of legislation?

Tried to rep you. Hmmm...wonder though..no love lost there.

While I can't come up with a better alternative at the moment, I'm not a fan of hers and would rather one of the other 300 million or so folks take the gig.

Sure it is.

Hey everyone, don't forget to vote for will as Asshat Of The Year in the members only section. He could become the first two-time AHOTY recipient and that would be.......historic. Or vote for me, if you're an asshat. Check the link below my sig.

This still going on without Sam?